Sunday, June 30, 2024

NEW BANNER

        As you can see I have a nice new banner that I am thankful for my friend from The Collective Mind blog created for my blog. Many thanks to Greg & his creativity along with my input for what I wanted to showcase on it. As you can see the Buckeyes logo as well the 4 major sports league logos. 


      The story about the people featured in the banner you can see they're people who I collect in my PC with the exception of Archie Griffin. Archie is featured for being the only 2 time winner of the Heisman Trophy plus he won 1 of the awards as a senior at The Ohio State University back in 1975. I hope someday I can meet with him & if I ever do you'll be sure to that I'll be sure to post it up on here.

        As for Herb Washington I'm a master collector of his cards. According to the Tradingcarddb.com site he has 4 cards in his collection. That being the 1975 Regular sized Topps card #407, the 1975 Topps Mini card #407, the 1975 O Pee Chee card #407, & most recently the 2024 Topps Heritage buyback also numbered #407. I own 2 of each of the cards with the exception of the buyback but that doesn't mean if someone has an extra I wouldn't pass it up.  If you aren't familiar with the Herb Washington story he was signed by Charlie O Finley owner of the Oakland Athletics to be an exclusive Pinch Runner. He played parts of 2 seasons with the Athletics 1974 & 1975 earning a card in the 1975 sets. He has a world series ring for his part in the 1974 world series. He also has the distinction of being involved with a famous play in game 2 that involved 3 alumni members of Michigan State University. The scene was Herb was on first base guarded by first Baseman Steve Garvey on the mound was Dr. Mike Marshall. Marshall picked Herb off attempting to steal 2nd base. 

          The Joe Nuxhall part is simple he made his way to the Major League record books when he made his debut on June 10th 1944 a good 31 years before a certain blogger/collector was born. At the age of 15 years old Joe took the mound pitching 2/3 of inning against the St. Louis Cardinals. Later Joe became a broadcaster for the Cincinnati Reds known as the Old Left-hander. 

        Ernie Harwell part I will reveal when I get a chance more in detail on his profile page that I have within my links on my site here.

       Again I want to thank Greg for creating the banner now I hope to hear from my readers tell me what you think about it. 

          

5 comments:

  1. Nice banner and a good representation of guys you collect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg is very good at this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg did a great job with the header... and I love the 1975 Topps in the background. The Herb Washington is a classic card. I have the regular and mini. Maybe one of these days I'll track down the other two for my A's PC.

    ReplyDelete