Monday, July 1, 2024

NEVER WILL I EVER...... Part I

           Never will I ever try to attempt making a set that's nearly impossible to make with cards. A colleague of mine asked me once has there ever been a set request that seem so outrageously stupid to do. I told him there's been countless of sets through the years that would seem impossible to do or make due to the restrictions I have as a set builder. 

           I started making sets back in 1990 when set building was easy to make or try to make if it was a set prior to 1979. I would make sets with the intentions of accomplishments to show my father who well.....kinda didn't understand why was his middle son so into collecting these things called baseball cards while his elder brother was into comic book collecting. Growing up with 2 brothers & being the only sports crazed child who could rattle off stats like a human baseball encyclopedia my father kinda wondered how I could remember that in 1964 was the last time that Mickey Mantle appeared in the fall classic but at the same time couldn't get decent grades in 9th grade English. 

         The very first set I ever made was the 1983 Fleer set I always liked the simple design plus the b&w photo of the player featured on the back. My mother said I should also try to really get my set building a challenge is to make a set of cards that she located once back in 1985 in Royal Oak,Michigan at a Comic/Sports show in a trash can. Yes!!!! you read that correctly someone tossed out a bunch of cards into a trash bin. Not the best shape but pretty much salvageable to a novice collector as myself would say now about myself. The cards I found that day were over abundance of the 1967 Topps set mainly some of the local team the Detroit Tigers names that both my parents heard during those years when they courting each other guys like Bill Freehan, Denny McClain, Mickey Lolich, as well others unfortunately there wasn't a 1967 Topps Al Kaline in the trash but there was a 1957 card of him again not best shape but you could still identify Mr. Tiger really well wearing that famous #6 on his back.

            I finished the 1983 Fleer set that fall after saving my allowance of $5 each week for 2 months to purchase the card that I would show my father card collecting was about that being card #507 Ryne Sandberg. As for the 1967 Topps set well......I still am on the hunt to completing that set I still need 3 cards to complete it they are as follows according to the tcdb.com checklist.


1967 Topps wantlist


128a-Ed Speizio where his named is rubbed out almost

581-New York Mets Rookies Bill Denehy/T.Seaver 

600-Brooks Robinson


        I like to find these 3 cards raw, ungraded, all at a reasonable prices. Every year since 1990 my mother calls it her set & wonders how the process goes in completing it. I keep her updated everytime I go to a show on the process my goal is to have it completed before I say goodbye to her. 


Anyways that's just the beginning of this series. I'll talk more about the process of the NEVER WILL I EVER.........as a set builder for future dates so I hope you stay tuned for them plus any updates on the progress of the 1967 set. Until then remember the famous Rogers Hornsby quote "Any ballplayer who doesn't sign an autograph for little kids ain't an American, he's Communist."

4 comments:

  1. Set collecting is a challenge. I finally started moving on completing sets when I started trading on TCDB. I put together sets for my grandsons and I figure in a couple of years, when they are about 6, it will be something we can do together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are three really tough cards. 1967 is my first love in terms of vintage sets. Still need 34 including those and Mantle. Most of the rest are high-numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that your mom plays a part in this set build. My mom played a part in my collecting... but never in a specific set build. But man... it would have been so cool if she had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like after all this time it would be easier, and more beneficial, to just save up for a bit and buy those last three cards.

    ReplyDelete