Friday, August 2, 2024

TRAVELING FOR DEALS

          Back in June I adventured to visit my friend in Maryland Greg. Yes I hear you please not another Greg story but, I promise it's not going to Monopolize the entire post. Instead  I'm going to be talking about how I like going outside of Michigan or my area to find some great deals. 

            Every place will have hometown prices for the closest teams. When I go to my local shop the store owner has 16 5000ct boxes filled with the Detroit teams 4 for each of teams. I can only imagine how many boxes if he was located in New York or Los Angeles. He usually charges a quarter for them except the major stars as well the major stars Rookies if it was someone like Riley Green he be in the owners eyes $.50 more now to me I like this setup cause when I need someone from the local team I just head to those boxes in hopes to find them.

          Yes I am 1 of those who loves going through boxes like that usually I find someone on my lists or find something that I might be interested in starting or completing & thanks to having the internet on my phone I don't have to lug around my binder that holds my master list & I even can check with the tcdb.com site if it's a set worthy of building or needing a name of a player that I don't have listed on my list. Plus I usually have other people's list as well & 9 out 10 times that's usually what I find is for them & not myself. I prefer stuff to be either sorted either by year by company as well by sport if not sorted that at least by sport cause then I  don't have to go back & forth from 1 list to another. My biggest problem is that not many people whom I trade with feel like it's a chore going through my lists or don't want the hassle to going through boxes to find me anything. 

           As I mentioned before in my blog about stopping at a flea market in Ohio during 2020 I found the 1959 Topps Billy Loes card for Greg. I like going out of state to find some great deals just recently I stumbled on a 1991 Swell All-Time Greats set at a garage sale the seller was asking $15 & I asked if he was willing to take $5 he said since I was tall enough for a project he needed done he accept $3 for it so I did the task where my height paid off & I got the set for $2 instead cause his wife wanted any cards out unfortunately that was the only thing in cards I guess she considered sporting equipment cards as well. That same day I found a couple of boxes of the`93/`94 O Pee Chee hockey boxes for $3 for both series 1 & 2.  I forgot to mention I was in Indiana at the time but for $3 sold for 2 reasons 1 I didn't have the set 2 the price. 

         So am I crazy about going outside my area to find deals or find new card shops,antique stores flea markets,garage sales,etc....to looking for things let me know in the comments below & with that said I am reminded of a quote from Rogers Hornsby about signing Autographs for kids "Any ballplayer who doesn't sign Autographs for little kids ain't an American, he's a Communist."

4 comments: