13 Cards thats right just 13 cards is causing me to experience this dilemma that I am having. I guess I should explain well last week I was rummaging through 18 5000ct boxes of basketball that I have. I came across 13 cards out of 300 cards from a complete set that whenever I am at a show or shop I just happen to come across these cards from this set & not a set I am working on cause they are a different year making me wonder maybe I should just try to do that set since I am always coming across them & not the one I am needing. I know its not even a dent but something tells me to try it & then there's something telling me to finish off at least a couple more of the basketball sets before starting something new.
I have been at this crossroad once before & just say the choice I made then didn't turn out to be great cause I thought I could completed it only to have to try to find the missing singles which I eventually did but it was very costly for me to get. That was the 1994 Cuban Serie Selectia set cause not many people have these cards. I was skeptical when I bought the boxes cause I bought them at a National Sports Card Convention in Baltimore back in 2012. The dealer said I could get 2 complete sets in 3 boxes since theres only 132 cards in the whole set. I figured those odds yeah I might as well try it after all its not everyday ya come across Cuban Cards plus the dealer said if I didn't complete the set to email him & he send me what was missing. So I took his business card just in case. Well I ended up missing about 30 cards to complete it so I reached out to the dealer via email well......turns out he never got my email nor anyone I knew didn't have any & I was stuck with trying to find them a year passed I walked by another dealer at the 2013 National who happened to have some vintage 1940s Cuban cards so I struck up a conversation with the dealer asking if he might had any of the 1994s he said he might but send him SASE(Self Addressed Stamp Envelope) with a list with contact information should he have any questions he could contact me about them. After the National I reached out to him to see if he remembered having a chat with a collector doing an enquiry about these cards I even sent him a triplicate of a card to show what I was looking for about 2 weeks after mailing out my letter I get a call it was dealer saying he got my letter & he remembered me & that he could send me all that I needed. I was excited about 4 weeks later there was a small package in the mail that was my missing singles. Whenever I look at the set now I remember the risk I took in making the set.
These are pre-Rookie Cards of Livan Hernandez & his Half-Brother Orlando "El Duque' Hernandez that are in my Cuban Set from 1994.
Now I know some of you readers aren't set builders like me your either a 1 team collector or have certain players. So I pose this question for you if ya happened to come across a small batch of cards like I mentioned above would & ya happened to see a bunch of cards of that particular player or team pending on however ya collect at shows or shops & those that ya found would ya try & do it or would just wait it out cause its just a fluke ya of you finding that small stack let me know in the comments below & let me know am I the only one thats experience this problem or not if I am the only one please explain what you did. Until next time again I normally do my Rogers Hornsby quote but I think Ill end this post by quoting author David Halberstam who wrote a book about the 1949 season called "The Summer of '49" he once said "By & large its the sport that a foreigner is least likely to take to. You have to grow up playing it, you have to accept the lore of the bubble-gum card, & believe that if the answer to the Mays-Snider-Mantle question is found,then the universe will be a simpler & more ordered place."
I looked up that set on TCDb and not very many collectors list that they have cards from it. In fact, there are many of that set that don't have scans on the set either. I have not been at that crossroads as I have only tried to build one set. I'm 9 SP cards away from completing it. Enjoy it all!
ReplyDelete