Thursday, October 3, 2024

WHAT IF PART II

                        This second installment of my What Ifs where we change history by discussing a thing that might have happened had the historical event didn't happened. In the first discussion we talked about how things might have been had the San Diego Padres Moved after the 1973 season to Washington D.C.  area.  Tonight we're going to make you the Hall of Fame Manager of the Oakland Athletics Tony LaRussa your in Game 1 of the World Series you have been told by the media that a player from the opposing team will not be in starting lineup for Game 1. Afterall this player will not be even introduced during the player introductions prior to the game. 


 Anyone realize that the 1989 Upper Deck is card #666 cause the print setter was an Oakland fan & thought Gibson was the devil hence the reason for this being that number.

              That's right I am talking about Kirk Gibson's dramatic at bat in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series. So let me tell you what the group said about this at bat by the injured Gibson. After the count 3-2 on Gibson we know Gibson went deep off Eckersley to win the game. Now its the groups take on that 3-2 count 1 guy said "Once Gibson took the time out I would been on the edge of the dugout telling Eck throw it at his ear or just walk him will get the next guy at bat." That pretty much was what most of the group agreed about doing with the exception of well.....yours truly here this is what I would have done. I am sorry but I would have taken a partial script of what happened in the 1972 World Series I would have been surprised to see Gibson up but I would have told Eck just throw 2 pitches that Gibson wouldn't expect to hit normally then I would asked Terry Steinbach to do an intentional walk look to think after the first 2 pitches were called strike then throw a backdoor slider to get him swinging just like what Rollie Fingers did to Johnny Bench to this day whenever Bench sees Rollie at Cooperstown he just say lucky pitch.  So my avid reader tell me what do you see what happens in that at bat remember there's no right or wrong answers also remember there's 9 days remaining in the Last Card Standing contest Until then remember Rogers Hornsby once said about signing autographs for kids " Any Ballplayer who doesn't sign for little kids ain't an American He's a Communist."  






4 comments:

  1. That would probably depend on who was up next. It might have been a good idea to walk him. From what I remember, the Dodgers didn’t have that good of a lineup, but if someone like Steve Sax, or Mike Marshall were up next, I might not walk him. If someone like Mike Scioscia, Jeff Hamilton, Alfredo Griffin, Franklin Stubbs, or anyone else was up after Gibson, there might be a good chance to get the next out and get the win. I believe light-hitting Dave Anderson was on the bench, as well as Rick Dempsey and Mickey Hatcher probably, so if Lasorda went to his bench, it wouldn’t do too much to change my mind to walk Gibby. It must’ve been tempting to face a hobbled Gibson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Sax was up next, so if you walk Gibson maybe Sax gets the big hit to win the game. Then he is such a hero that LA has to re-sign him, and he doesn't go to the Yankees. So Willie Randolph stays a Yankee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. Is the thing about the Upper Deck employee being an A's fan legit? If so... that's pretty funny.

    B. As an A's fan that was devastated by Gibson's home run... I wouldn't second guess Eck or Steinbach. They were the experts... and as a fan... they know way more than me. I wonder if anyone has ever asked Eck what he would throw had he had an opportunity to do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete