Wednesday, July 17, 2024

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT CONTEST

                        This post is 2 days late then expected, for you see I was suppose to do this posting the day prior to All-Star Game so you could have something to think about. I suppose you still can but,keep in mind by the end of this piece you'll be saying ya know maybe he's right. The funny thing about All-Star Games if you think about it if you you look at every venue that has hosted the mid summer classic within 25 years either way you look at somehow that team reached some kind of post season after hosting the game.

                     There has been 2 ties in All-Star game history as of this writing the 1st was in 1961 at Fenway Park in Boston during the 2nd All-Star game that year. The first in 1961 was at Candlestick Park in San Francisco where Stu Miller was blown off the mound (CHA-CHING!!!) the reason the 2nd game ended in the tie was due to a rain storm it makes you think how nature caused 1 man to be blown away while the other can on the parade of the majors finest coming together for a 2nd interleague game of the season.  The 2nd tie occurred during the 2002 in Milwaukee which ended after 11 innings when both rosters were depleted of players but if you wanted my opinion Bud Selig was just afraid to admit that running out a players expanding rosters wasn't a great idea until the following year when they offered fans a last player pick selection to the game. 

                  Back in 1933 the very 1st All-Star game at Comiskey Park in Chicago the 1st home run was hit by Babe Ruth for the American League. Fast forward 50 years later the same venue the 1st Grand Slam was hit by Chicago native Fred Lynn also for the American League. Still fast forward to 2007 Ichiro Suzuki hits the 1st Inside the park again for the American League but this time the venue wasn't in Chicago it was in San Francisco at AT&T Park off Chris Young. Each of those 3 times the American League won those games again something to think about.



Now I bet your wondering what the contest is I am offering for a prize for the 1st person who can clearly tell me without the aide of Google who can tell me why the young man on your right of Cornelius McGillicuddy (Connie Mack's real name again CHA-CHING!!!!!!) in the front row wearing a Cleveland Indians uniform instead of his usual Tiger striped Socks & Old English D on his chest. You need to identify the young man 1st then why he was wearing the uniform. Which brings me to why doesn't Major League Baseball acknowledge this is the first All-Star game before the 1933 Classic again something to think about. The winner of the contest will win a Complete Set of the 1990 Topps Major League Debut 1989. Should the winner pass on the prize I'll hold it until I hold my next contest. Stay tuned to my blog for winner of the contest & what steps are needed for me to award the winner. Until then remember what Hall of Fame Rogers Hornsby said about giving autographs "Any ballplayer who doesn't sign autographs for little kids ain't an American, he's a communist." 


4 comments:

  1. Ty Cobb, I'm assuming his uniform was stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't watched too many MLB All-Star games over the past twenty years, but I do remember that inside the park home run by Ichiro. Probably just watched the highlight though. Doubt I saw the entire game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure that's Ty Cobb. As to why...well since The Angels In Order guessed stolen (my first thought), I'll guess his luggage got lost...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not good with older players, but I agree it’s Cobb, and maybe he was playing a practical joke or did it on a dare or something.

    ReplyDelete