Tuesday, July 30, 2024

REGRETFUL TRADE

                   Back in the summer July of 1983 I was at a nearby flea market outside my neighborhood is where I made 1 of the first regretful trades I made as a kid. You see I traded away the 1983 Donruss Wade Boggs RC for a 1982 Topps Steve Sax RC with a throw in Ty Waller RC. At the time I was thinking Sax was Rookie of the Year that year Boggs well....sure the Bat/Glove design is cool but he was the last out for the Dave Righetti No Hitter on July 4th a couple weeks ago & a complete unknown player as for Waller well......I liked the 3 player guys on a card & wanted to get all the 1982 cards like that & those were the only 2 that this kid had. Only if he had the Ripken trio card how different this post might have been. The kid wanted Boggs cause he didn't have any 1983 Donruss cards since Topps were only sold at the stores as for Fleer only selective stores had them.

What was I thinking eh!!!!!


So I made the deal fast forward 4 years later I was at one my favorite shops reading this issue of Beckett 

looking up the prices at the time that's when I saw it 1982 Topps Sax RC $2.00 1983 Donruss Wade Boggs RC $8.00 & then I said WOW!!!! my Boggs is $8 I best get that card into a screwdown. So as excited as I was only thing I didn't have it anymore instead I saw Sax staring at me that's when I realized I regret trading a card of that caliber. So don't feel bad for me I eventually got 2 copies of the Boggs RC 1 for the set & 1 for my PC. So let me ask you what is 1 trade as a kid that you made that now regret but were able to get back in either in a trade or purchased again. As always I am reminded that quote from Rogers Hornsby about signing autographs for kids "Any Ballplayer who doesn't sign for little kids ain't an American, he's a Communist."




4 comments:

  1. In 1993 or 1994, I was in Michigan for a wedding and we were at my Aunt Barb’s cottage. I had won a ‘B’ Topps Black Gold set, and my cousin Phillip saw the ‘winner’ card I got back, and wanted it. He traded me a pile of popular cards at the time (1991 Topps Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey, Jr, Phil Plantier, 1990 Topps Griffey, stuff like that), and it took a few years, but I regretted it. A few years back, I got a ‘B’ winner card from COMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometime in the late 1980s I traded some Star Wars figures for baseball cards. I regretted that pretty soon, and thinking of the value later, it was probably a really bad trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a few bad trades. Most of the memorable ones took place as an adult. But the trade I regret the most took place when I was a kid (in high school). It involved a 1952 Topps Andy Pafko... which was a gift from my aunt and the most valuable card in my collection. I took it to a card show and traded it for one of those 1987 Fleer tin sets and a bunch of rookies from the 1986 and 1987 sets. Even if I eventually get another copy of the Pafko... it won't be the one my aunt bought me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can remember trading as a kid, but nothing specific, nor regretful. Bad purchases on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete