Am I odd that I count how many cards I have in my collection when I am looking at the galleries of cards of a recently deceased player. The other day I found myself having basically 27/70 of the cards listed for former pitcher Larry Christensen according to the TCDB site. I mention this cause I have great memory skills on things with cards I guess its cause I quiz myself every time I go through 1 of my many set binders no matter what sport it is I can find something interesting a little tibit if you will indulge me on. Case in point when I was counting the cards of Larry that I had I recalled the amount I paid for on my 1984 Nestle Set at a show plus I remember watching Larry pitch in the 1980 World Series game 4 plus at 1 time while looking for cheap 1981 Fleer double of Mike Schmidt for the binder spine to identify my 1981 Fleer binder I had Larry sit in the spot keeping warm for Mike. Plus if I am ever needing a player for my Immaculate Grid 1 team player for the Phillies he's my go to guy. So I ask any of my loyal readers if do you do this or not let me know in the comments below.
This last Saturday I attended the local show they hold at end of every month at the mall & I had my phone opened in 8 different tabs the first 4 that I never close are devoted to the TCDB sets by years area of each sport just in case I find a good portion of a starter of a potential set build of a set I don't have & I get curious how many are in the set as well what inserts I might want to add to it if they have inserts as well hidden surprises case in point earlier this month I picked up the 2026 Topps Flagship football set & I was looking over the list of inserts a no doubter was adding the 1991 35th Anniversary ones then I was debating should I add the Greatest Hits Insert or the Big Ticket Players or just stay with 1991s. Needless to say I stuck with the 1991s cause the Big Ticket Players yeah theres only like 25 of them but those inserts really didn't say if ya see me get all 25 of them to me, & then the Greatest Hits sure there's 25 them as well again didn't lure me in adding them to the set. The Topps Profiles had 25 but they looked to boring to add plus again the reason for the 1991s cause it was unlike in the baseball versions they did 50 regular veteran players & 50 Rookies making it 2 different subsets while in baseball the combined the 2 sets into one.
Sorry for that long version about the first 4 tabs but the other 4 were devoted to my wantlists so all I had to do is just click on the sport I found then scroll up or down to see if I needed that particular card. So I am going through this 3200ct box found a great portion of the `19/`20 Hoops Premium Stock now they aren't in order which is typical plus prior to finding the portion I found bits a pieces of other sets needs from all over my lists some football to 1 card off my 2022 Stadium Chrome baseball set so I have a small stack in my hand going through the Hoops when this guy reaches in the row I'm currently going through messing up where I already went through as well what to look forward to seeing I had to speak up on it after all its the 2nd time I've gone through a box & someone just intervenes thinking that it is fine to go through things that I'm currently going through. The guy says how am I supposed to know where ya when you were looking at your phone of course I was looking at my phone cause my list was on there & so sorry I don't know everything on my lists by heart plus I have scroll up or down on my lists but if ya ask me how can anybody be so rude to do that sorta thing.
I'll end this post by saying that next season will be hard to not see or hear that famliar #35(Which I see the Astros retiring soon as he gets into the Hall of Fame as well in Detroit) getting ready for a long season whether he was with my hometown Detroit Tigers to the Houston Astros to the New York Mets then back to the Astros & then San Francisco Giants before returning this last winter to where it all began in Detroit Justin Verlander I await for his call to Cooperstown 5 years from now but for now Ill just enjoy my 1 auto I have in my PC his 2006 UD Artifacts. Jeff Passen tweet says it all So Thank you Justin for the 21 year ride in watching you pitch someday when your daughter gets older & you can show her the video of her throwing out the first pitch to you on the eve of your last ever start & this old veteran of card collecting will let you walk into the sunset instead of him leaving his quote he usually ends so again Thank you Justin.
Monday, September 28, 2026
DOES ANYONE COUNT THEM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment