This woman yesterday turned 104 years old. All I can say is happy birthday a day late. For you see this lady is a legend she is history,a former nurse,a mother of 3 children. She is Rachel Robinson.
If you ask me she doesn't look any older than 60.
Back in 2010 I was visiting my friend Greg from The Collective Mind blog at the time he was living in Maryland. We went to a used bookstore called Wonder Books where I could locate some old books to add to my library of reading. Besides collecting cards I usually read a lot of books about baseball & so I came across this book written by this wonderful lady. At first I didn't think much of it but if ya look closely its a signed copy of the book by her. I went home without purchasing it I can hear ya say ya fool how could ya do that. Au Contraire Mon Frere I didn't have enough $$$$ to afford everything I wanted during my 2 weeks after all I was there to check out places like there & attend the National the second week cause it was being held in Baltimore that year & I didn't want to be broke completely. Anyways when I got back home I reached out to Greg & I mentioned about the book if its still there could he mail it to me cause I wasn't sure if many people saw it or not but as someone who likes autographs especially from an elite class of a lady that she is I couldn't turn it down. So he went back to the store called me up & asked me what was the book again when I told him about whom the book was about he went directly to find it & mailed it after he told me it was only $10 that's not a typo folks thats what he told me it cost $10 so I was very excited to own this piece of history. So tell me my readers would ya have gotten this book knowing it had a rare signature of the widow of a great man that doesn't do many signings & now she's at 104 years young & still going strong.
Best $10 book with an autograph I couldn't pass up.
As you know I normally end my posts with a quote from Rogers Hornsby however I find it fitting that Rachel's Husband should end this post to the birthday girl. "Above anything else, I hate to lose." Well Jackie ya never lost her she's been a winner Happy Birthday Mrs. Rachel Robinson!!!!!!
Wow, 104! God bless and Happy birthday Mrs. Robinson!
ReplyDeleteThat is really incredible! Great find by you and having the connection to make it happen. Enjoy it all!
ReplyDelete